"Teaching might be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit" - John Steinbeck

Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thoughts

One of the things I love about teaching piano is that I'm "giving back" to the community on so many different levels (academically, socially, therapeutically) & helping people (no matter the age) through music.  I may have said this a million times before but when I sit and reminisce about what I've tried to accomplished I feel like I've literally been to the moon and back because it's been a LONG journey (personally and "professionally").

I really wouldn't be here had it not been for my past experiences and they're always good lessons learned.  An individual's career will change at least 7 times during their lifetime (that's how the myth goes).  "You don't know where you're going until you know where you've been".  Had I not gone through all these different crazy hoops exploring a million job options I wouldn't have learned to appreciate a new beginning today. I know eventually everyone's led to the right place... where they're supposed to be.  Some doors open and some will close.  That's life.  Fate.  And I am thankful that my vision has become so clear... I can finally breathe a sigh of relief and I'm grateful that I've been guided in the right direction. 

Work used to define who I was as a person and I feel that I've finally moved on from that state of mind.  Today I am just me.

I hadn't whole heartedly given myself the chance to turn piano into a true teaching career although I've had two years' experience of it during school.  I realize now that it's really something that has given my life purpose and that's why I'm so passionate about it.  This job may seem like a small role to some people... but I love the fact that what I'm doing is first and foremost: meaningful.  With this post I am truly speaking from the heart.

I like to turn to art & my music... words, poetry, my favourite pieces of literature.  Music gives me a sense of security & inner joy when I'm involved in creating it.  It's like playing your favourite sport or doing your all-time favourite activity and you never want to leave.  Below I've written P Diddy's lyrics from his single "Coming Home".   (You know me!  It's pretty often that I try to find a song or poem to relate to!)

I'm coming home I'm coming home
Tell the world that I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home I'm coming home
Tell the world that I'm coming.

It's nice. It's like a sense of renewal...  Everyone can get a second chance.  On a side note: I attended an early childhood music education workshop & I'll blog my updates when I get my notes together!! So excited to be sharing what I've learned.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice reading your post. Keep up the optimism and passion. A job that you don't like is a job that's not worth doing, even for money :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for your feedback, I really appreciate your kind words! Yes, doing what I love most is important to me... and I've only learned this over time :) Thanks for reading & hope you visit again soon

    ReplyDelete