"Teaching might be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit" - John Steinbeck

Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowed In... More Blogging

As classes & schools are closed for the day due to the snowstorm overnight I'm sitting at home & I decided to Blog.  I don't always get to share stories about my private students as much as I'd like to here but let me tell you - they are all wonderful.  Each student is unique.  My lessons at piano schools during the week pretty much take up most of my life right now although I am also happily experiencing private teaching on a smaller scale (on the side). 

I am planning on taking part in a conference & a couple of seminars this month.  I must have mentioned this a million times but I LOVE attending these events.  There's one coming up that deals with early childhood storytime & nursery rhymes!  Should be a fun & informative session regarding preschool-aged children.  Also on my plate: prepping for a student piano recital which I am hoping will go well. 

When the craziness is over I'll launch more promo in the community where I live to really get the ball rolling.  Right now I personally feel that experience is key.  And honestly 24 hours in a day is just not enough!  Time is flying by.  Five more months and it'll be June: end of the school year!  Which also means exam time.  I know I won't be the only one practically ripping my hair out by the end of the year... a few friends of mine whom I had grown up with are teaching in the elementary public & private school systems. It's great that we're able to confide in each other about our careers once in a while and how to deal with a variety of students... ah yes the teaching profession. 

Through our conversations I found a lot of similarities like motivational factors for today's kids, the school systems, administrative stuff etc. and it's nice when there's a shared understanding of the 'generation' and society we're dealing with today.  Oh my - I sound like I'm getting old.  Gone are the days of Spice Girls & Backstreet Boys when they were the coolest pop bands lol.  We knew every single song by heart & every music video! On a side note: my all-time favourite Spice Girl was Emma (maybe because of her pigtails?)

So this is how a story of mine popped up during a lesson with one of my private students: we were talking about trips and I told her back in Grade 8 ("a loooong time ago") I went on a school field trip for graduation to Quebec.  That was the year the Backstreet Boys' new CD "Millennium" was released & their first single "I Want It That Way" was at the top of the music billboard charts.  Someone from our class had already purchased the CD so you can imagine how many replays this song got on our coach bus over the loud speakers (bus driver and teachers were generous enough to let us really crank it).

Everyone knew the words & ALL the moves... it was a true bonding moment (haha).  So as a wayback playback.... here you go:

No comments:

Post a Comment