"Teaching might be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit" - John Steinbeck

Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Consider Yourself.... At Home"

Last night I'm pretty sure I had driven in the WORST snowstorm... blizzard... ever.  It was completely unexpected although I did hear news of heavier snow beginning to hit parts of Ontario late in the afternoon.

I had already planned on seeing a friend of mine perform in "Oliver! The Musical" in Newmarket and I was willing to keep that promise!! Way to test my driving skills in practically 10-15 cm of snow by the time I got onto 404 Northbound highway.  Thankfully a friend was in the passenger seat and she helped me navigate.  Eventually we made it to the theatre about half an hour late (better late than never I guess that's what they say) & it was nice and cozy inside.

The play was based on Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist novel and was presented by the Aurora Performing Arts Group - it was awesome!  To be honest I never got the chance to read the book which is quite unfortunate (my all-time favourite novel is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë).  Everyone in the show did such a fantastic job... I was happy to have seen my friend from Fine Arts in university belt out her solos (amazing voice I tell you).  The younger cast members were also adorable including the little one who played Oliver. 

I've been to the Newmarket Theatre a few times in the past for workplace recitals and another play "The Secret Garden" also produced by APAG.  I had a song stuck in my head all night when I got home closer to midnight (yes - it took that long to get back home but am so grateful for the salting trucks out there so late).

Website: Aurora Performing Arts Goup

No comments:

Post a Comment