"Teaching might be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit" - John Steinbeck

Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

September = Back To School

This past week was the first week of school for many students!  Welcome back to another year of knowledge and excitement.  For me personally, it's always nice to start my students off with an interesting conversation (nothing too serious) about what they did over the summer and whether they're excited about meeting new friends in their new classrooms at school.  I'm glad that their responses are mostly "yes"! 

The first day at school however hadn't been my best experience.... I know my parents still like to reminisce about it from time to time, and share this story at gatherings for a good laugh (how embarrassing!!) but it's all in good fun. Being an introvert when I was younger (and I think I still am but just opened up a bit over the years), I was mostly good at small-groups or one-to-one individual interactions (ie private-format lessons, tutoring, etc). 

On my first day of Junior Kindergarten sitting in a class of about 20 kids I CRIED soooo much and SO LOUD the upper floors could hear me.  For two weeks' straight, to boot!!  I clearly remember another girl in the class handed me some Kleenex.  My mother became concerned and the teacher kindly advised that if my mom could wait outside the classroom until I was fully comfortable with my surrsoundings that it would be best for me... My mum was also generously offered coffee each morning by the Principal.  Of course, that is definitely NOT a story I want to re-visit! How embarrassing x2!!

I eventually got used to playing with my classmates and even made a few new friends.  But it was back to square one when the same thing happened as I started SK at a new school. Bawling my eyes out on the first day but fortunately it didn't last another two weeks. 

So, I will always consider how I approach back-to-school lessons: with a positive manner, with an honest consideration of how students may be feeling on their first day! 

Good luck to everyone hitting the books again this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment