"Teaching might be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit" - John Steinbeck

Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Finding Therapy Through Music

Taking a flip through the pages of the Toronto Star this week I found a really informative article regarding music as a therapeutic process in the world of teens & kids here in the GTA.  We've all been there before: you had a really bad day or week and you're trying to find some way to 1) take part in other activities to move on from a situation and/or 2) find some way to feel positive again and to restore some sort of emotional stability.  This is where music comes in.

With constant, fast-paced societal and economical changes nowadays it helps to have music in your life as a "healing" factor from all the amount of work, stress and personal struggles that anyone may encounter.  Now that families are getting busier with higher demands in the workplace, some kids unfortunately do not get the opportunity to spend time with their loved ones enough at home.  I would say that approximately between 70-80% of the parents of my piano students lead extremely busy full-time jobs including executive/director positions (plus professions including dentists, doctors & former lawyers). 

When I see these parents caring for their kids & investing in their musical education by bringing them to our piano lessons no matter how late in the evenings or tired they may be from a long day ("Oops, Blackberry's going off again!") I am certain that they are providing support as best as they can for their own children. 



I know personally after a long stressful day trying to work with a rambunctious group of 5 years olds I need to de-stress - the best time is while I'm driving to and from work (I simply turn up the radio volume in my vehicle & dance (subtly of course) and/or sing at the top of my lungs to Rihanna or Shawn Desman tunes).  Of course when someone looks over I stop... but it's funny that I've randomly noticed other drivers (parked at a red light etc) doing the same thing (and they in fact don't stop!).  Maybe that's too much info... but anyway.

From a health-related perspective, when it comes to those who do not have the means to go beyond their own four-walled bedroom in a hospital setting, music can become one of the most crucial components in their lives.  In this case - music needs to be more accessible; music should come to them. At the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto ON a music therapy fund was officially established through the Sick Kids Foundation called Friends of Music Therapy Endowment Fund.  

"So many people love music; it's part of our social fabric. Music transcends all borders," one of the co-founders quoted.  The fund is also a way to give back to the community.  Recently the program received monetary support from Toronto-born award-winning & hip-hop recording artist Drake & his management team.

The majority of my past work experience in music had been education: teaching piano as a skill & helping students develop proper technique through playing & theory.  When it comes to music specifically as a therapeutic process I definitely have lots more to learn!  It would be nice to be able to tie in elements of music therapy into my own teaching program one day.  So when I feel I'm ready for some form of entrepreneurial expansion in that direction I will definitely keep this Blog updated.

Friends of Music Therapy Program & Fund

Toronto Star Article (Jan 25, 2011): Music Helps The Kids Heal Faster

No comments:

Post a Comment